The large artillery table was founded in 1617 and completed in 1626. It is called the St. Paul's artillery station, and the residents of Macao are often called "big guns". In the past four hundred years, the interior architecture of the big artillery has been rebuilt many times. Fort of the south gate, the entrance for the early gunpowder store; the upper central is a three storey tower (now defunct), each layer is equipped with guns; next to another four row of houses, as the governor and officers of the barracks, dormitories on both sides and the lower level connected to the inlet. The turret is equipped with a pool and a munition bank, with sufficient reserves to cope with a two - year encirclement. It was the core of the Macao defense system at that time and, together with other artillery stations, formed a wide fire defense network covering the East and the West. From 1623 to 1740, there has been more garrison commander and Macao governor's residence.
The large artillery table has been a military restricted area until the original barracks were rebuilt into a meteorological station in 1965, and the tourist area was opened in 1966 after the meteorological station was moved in.
To carry out repairs to Fort walls respectively in 1992, 1993 and 1996, the project only limited to the necessary, to maintain its authenticity. In addition to cleaning condition of the wall itself, but also remove the surface to remove weeds, roots of plants with herbicide, use the original materials to repair the wall cracks. As a result, the structure of the large artillery is preserved completely.
Since September 1996, the government has converted the site of the meteorological station to the Macao Museum, and it was opened in 1998.